THANK YOU! Now I just have to be brave and LET THEM climb actual trees. Yipes.
Funnily, I wanted to name Aliza POPPY (which is the narrator's name, right? Poppy Wise?).
I think Ander pointed out that this scene illustrates an autobiographical line in Chicken, Soup, Boots: "When I was seven and sitting in a tree in Henry Hudson Park behind our house, I felt that someday I would make up stories...."
I'm reading him The Principles of Uncertainty, and he was nearly ecstatic when he learned that Maishel Shmelkin (mentioned in Hey, Willy) was REALLY a REAL person (from Maira's mother's town), and that he really, really forgot his pants one day.
H-I think that you would have to *try* rather hard to send an ugly sweater. I think you are more in the cool aunt sending clothes from California category. (The new Lion t-shirt is waiting to be worn specifically on the last day (Thursday.) He made this plan last Thursday and I had to make sure to wash it. Also, "Oh, no, I have to get the card back so we can add, thank you for the Lion golden paint Leo Lion shirt.")
S-you're welcome and yes, that is Poppy (Wise.) (I love that name, too. hurrah, botanical names!)
There was a magnolia tree in our front yard the year we lived on base in Alabama. At 8, I was the only one tall enough to get up into it. I love climbing high just high enough that the branch started to sway a bit at my weight and then stopping and letting the wind move me and tree. This tree was barely taller than our one story row house. I never fell out of the tree.
I did fall off my bike, that year, when I skidded on some loose asphalt. I blooded my knee. I remember riding home with blood dripping down into my sock and tears on my face but knowing that I had to get myself home. I think I was with some other kids, but I know that my mother was far off at home and to get her help I had to get myself there.
(It was messy but must not have been that bad because I rode back. I had to wear a huge bandage that I was suppose to keep dry, which made playing in the kiddie pool tricky.)
THANK YOU!
ReplyDeleteNow I just have to be brave and LET THEM climb actual trees. Yipes.
Funnily, I wanted to name Aliza POPPY (which is the narrator's name, right? Poppy Wise?).
I think Ander pointed out that this scene illustrates an autobiographical line in Chicken, Soup, Boots: "When I was seven and sitting in a tree in Henry Hudson Park behind our house, I felt that someday I would make up stories...."
I'm reading him The Principles of Uncertainty, and he was nearly ecstatic when he learned that Maishel Shmelkin (mentioned in Hey, Willy) was REALLY a REAL person (from Maira's mother's town), and that he really, really forgot his pants one day.
Uh-oh. I've got to be careful not send any UGLY sweaters that the other kids will laugh at.
ReplyDeleteH-I think that you would have to *try* rather hard to send an ugly sweater. I think you are more in the cool aunt sending clothes from California category. (The new Lion t-shirt is waiting to be worn specifically on the last day (Thursday.) He made this plan last Thursday and I had to make sure to wash it. Also, "Oh, no, I have to get the card back so we can add, thank you for the Lion golden paint Leo Lion shirt.")
ReplyDeleteS-you're welcome and yes, that is Poppy (Wise.) (I love that name, too. hurrah, botanical names!)
There was a magnolia tree in our front yard the year we lived on base in Alabama. At 8, I was the only one tall enough to get up into it. I love climbing high just high enough that the branch started to sway a bit at my weight and then stopping and letting the wind move me and tree. This tree was barely taller than our one story row house. I never fell out of the tree.
I did fall off my bike, that year, when I skidded on some loose asphalt. I blooded my knee. I remember riding home with blood dripping down into my sock and tears on my face but knowing that I had to get myself home. I think I was with some other kids, but I know that my mother was far off at home and to get her help I had to get myself there.
(It was messy but must not have been that bad because I rode back. I had to wear a huge bandage that I was suppose to keep dry, which made playing in the kiddie pool tricky.)
So don't worry about trees, fear asphalt.